Welcome To My Blog

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Network Marketing Thieves


This is NOT my story. You have heard that before. I relay this story to you as an example of what can, and does, happen every day in our online society. Be Careful!
I had my first experience with online stealing yesterday morning. I received an email in my inbox thanking me for my purchase at a gaming community. I get a lot of bogus emails of that sort, and I checked with each person in my family, plus we dont gamble (it was for poker chips) so I wasnt too worried about it and deleted it, but just to be sure I went to my paypal account to see if it was true.
You guessed it, I had two withdrawals, one for $150, one for $50 and they were approved. I couldnt believe it. If this has never happened to you before, its hard to explain the feeling you have of being violated. My paypal is directly connected to my bank account, so they were getting into my personal life!
I immediately called my bank and alerted them and then I called paypal and they assured me that they would make sure everything was straightened out and made right.
Needless to say, I went to every website I use and changed my passwords.
I dont understand how or why these things happen, but its a very real thing and it could happen to anyone. If paypal is not secure, what is?
A friend of mine had a credit card charge recently that was the same type of thing. Another friend of mine had a facebook scam where emails were sent to her friends (as if they were her) and asking for money. And the night before my paypal incident someone else I know had the exact same charges from the exact same gaming community taken from their paypal account.
So friends, be very careful and take the following steps
1.do not use the same password everywhere and change it regularly, write it on a piece of paper and keep it in a safe place
2.when you get an email regarding an online account or your personal information, NEVER click on the link. Close that window and open up a new window and go to the website that you know (for example, I did not click on any links in the confirmation email, I went to what I know is the paypal address.) These thieves can make the website look exactly like the one they are impersonating you wont be able to tell the difference.
3.call your bank, your credit card, etc and verify the incident with them. Use the number on your bank statement or your credit card, not a number in an email or on a website
I hope I can save at least one person from having their money stolen. I know how precious it is in this economy!

To your continued success,
Nathan Jeffery

No comments:

Post a Comment