Welcome To My Blog

Saturday, January 23, 2010

When The Earth Shakes Our Foundation

Tonight I am going to write about my thoughts on the latest double tragedy that has happened in Haiti. I first heard of the earthquake and the massive damage and loss of life the morning after the initial quake.
I followed the news carefully and was shaken emotionally by the sight of the massive destruction and video of attempted rescues and orphanages filled with sick and injured children. It certainly looked like a war zone.
I began to wonder why, when we have natural tragedies like this in our world, we see mass fundraising begin from the private sector. I don't wonder this because I think we shouldn't be doing this. Don't get me wrong. I whole heartedly support any and all aid we can give being brought to the Haitian people.
But where is the government? Our government! I watched as dignitaries from the USA flew into Haiti to make their appearances and "pose" for the cameras and I had to ask myself, "how many people could be helped with what their clothing or the flight to get them there cost?"
We need to take a serious look at how we are conducting our business both here at home and abroad and this taxpayer thinks we should be getting our troops and assets out of harms way in war and use them for saving lives.

2 comments:

  1. I love this...Im one of those people who believes that our Government should clean up our country first because we have a lot of man-made disasters that need dealing with

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand fully what U mean and I also wonder what it cost to show up, when people ar suffering in the ruins around U. I wish U a very good day/
    night. Maritha.

    ReplyDelete